An arrest made in La Porte County, IN, is preceded by a specific procedure undertaken for the issue of an arrest warrant. Even after an individual is taken into custody, the police are stringent about sticking to the legally prescribed process that eventually culminates in a bail hearing followed by criminal litigation.
At the start of the process, a written petition is handed to the local criminal court clerk. The document contains all the vital information about the case. The part that highlights the evidence which implicates the person against whom the warrant is sought is most important.
The magistrate carefully studies this to ensure enough proof to make the charges stick when they are filed. Once the magistrate is convinced of this, the issuance of the active arrest warrant is just a matter of the document being signed by the judge.
In the rare instance that the warrant issued in La Porte County is not immediately put to use, it is stored in the criminal database as an outstanding warrant, which can be used at any time and any place to make an arrest.
Although the Sheriff’s Department is open to offering information on arrest records and allowing a warrant search, people who want, such details are expected to visit the law enforcement agency’s office at 809 State St, La Porte, Indiana 46350.
Is it possible to get information on La Porte County arrest warrants and recent arrests over the phone? (2021-Update)
- To know about recent arrests: Call the Corrections Division at 219-362-6548.
- To find out about outstanding warrants, call the warrants Division at 219-326-7700 ext. 2664/2427/2338.
- To request arrest records and police reports: Call the Records Division at 219-326-7700, ext. 2282.
- To know about the investigation of a criminal case filed by you: Call the Criminal Investigation Unit at 219-326-7700, ext. 2635.
- To get general information or to file a non-emergency complaint: Call the Sheriff’s dispatch phone number- 219-326-7700, ext. 2324 (La Porte) or 219-878-9132 (Michigan City).
- To know more about accessing criminal court records: Contact the Clerk’s Office at 219-326-6808.
- To ask about/seek victim’s assistance: Call the La Porte County Prosecutor’s Office at 219-326-6808.
Crime statistics of La Porte County
In 2019, the La Porte Sheriff’s Office received 473 criminal complaints, compared to the 420La Porte instances that were received in 2018. There were 416 property offenses and 57 violent crimes among the total.
Around 233 larceny thefts, 130 burglaries, and 53 motor vehicle thefts were reported under the category of property offences. Nearly 44 aggravated assaults, 2 rapes, and 10 robberies were included in the category of violent crimes.
The ten-year interval between 1999 and 2008 saw only a marginal increase in crime in La Porte County, Indiana. The crime figures that were found to be at nearly 200 at the start of the decade had only increased in single digits by 2008. Almost 39,000 criminal reports were lodged in the area in this interval, and not more than 5% of these were violent crimes.
Of the total number of criminal incidents, most complaints were about theft and robbery, with approximately 32,000 cases. Simultaneously, rape and murder did not offer cause for concern, with just about 240 and 40 reports filed over the ten years.