Arrest warrants from Steuben County, Indiana, can exclusively be issued by the magistrate of a tribunal at any level of the judicial hierarchy that has criminal jurisdiction. Also, by law, a person who has a magistrate’s powers can issue an active warrant. An order for arrest issued in criminal matters is vastly different from a bench warrant or other judicial decrees with a defined validity period.
An active order will remain valid in the system as an outstanding warrant for almost 100 years. This means that there is no chance of the warrant expiring within the lifetime of the accused. Also, unlike other legal provisions, an active warrant from Steuben is not bound by geography restrictions. So, these detention decrees can be used at any place, even outside the issuing county, to effect an arrest.
To make things easier for law enforcement officials, particularly when apprehending repeat offenders and those accused of severe legal transgressions, arrest records and outstanding warrants related information is made available to the police through a national database. So, the minute a person is arrested for any odd reason, his/her name is run through this database.
Fortunately, even regular folks can access the data in this repository by requesting a state department to conduct a warrant search in Steuben County for them. This can be done by filing a formal request for such an inquiry through the following government offices:
- The office of the sheriff: 206 E. Gale St, Angola, IN 46703.
- The magistrate’s court: 55 S. Public Sq, Angola, IN 46703-1900
- The county clerk’s office: Steuben County Clerk, 55 S. Public Sq, Angola, IN 46703-1900
Can you access the Steuben County warrant list and arrest records over the phone? (Current in 2021)
- In order to learn about arrests, contact the local police at (260) 668-1000.
- In order to connect with the Investigation Division for inquiries pertaining to a criminal case, call (260) 665-3131.
- In order to learn about the process for initiating a criminal background check, contact the Business Office of the Sheriff’s Department at (260) 668-1000 ext. 5005.
- In order to connect with Victim/Witness Services, contact the Victim’s Advocate at (260) 668-1000, ext. 2400.
- In order to request certified copies of judicial records, contact the Clerk of Court at (260) 668-1000, ext. 2000 (Circuit Court) or ext. 2400 (Superior Court).
Crime statistics of Steuben County
Steuben County’s yearly crime rate decreased by 16% to 334 incidents in 2019. Of the cases reported, 12 were violent crimes. These included 4 rape cases and 8 violent assaults. Larceny-theft was the subject of almost 207 of the property crime complaints, while burglaries were the subject of over 63 of them.
With a rise of over 50% in the rate of reported crime, Steuben County, IN, currently clocks in almost 900 criminal incidents each year. Of this cumulative figure, only about 2% of the complaints are against violent crime, while the remaining are related to robbery, theft, and other property crimes.