While the sitting magistrate of a criminal tribunal with authority to grant arrest warrants in Posey County, Indiana, will usually rely on the police affidavit to ascertain the probable cause, this is not a hard and fast rule. In other words, the judge may very well ask the police to get the witnesses in for a round of deposition when the information in the petition does not seem conclusive enough to point to the accused’s guilt.
In legal terms, probable cause is defined as the grounds on which a reasonable person can be led to believe that the said individual indeed committed the criminal incident mentioned in the police writ. Unless there is enough proof with the cops to prove this, an active warrant cannot be granted in Posey County.
During the pre-warrant hearing, the magistrate’s court and the county clerk’s department are involved in the actual trial. While the sitting judge deliberates on the case filed, a deputy from the clerk of court’s office records all the information presented in the court dockets. Hence, the judiciary and law enforcement have all records about outstanding warrants from Posey County.
Fortunately, in the interest of community safety, all three agencies open up their databases for public scrutiny. While you cannot randomly request information on all arrest orders issued by Posey’s courts during a specific period, you can get details on outstanding warrants in particular cases and against a specific individual.
A warrant search initiated in Posey will get you detailed records on the subject of your inquiry. The results will generally include such information as the charges filed against the person, the verdict of the case, sentencing, incarceration facility, release dates, etc. To get this report, you will have to approach:
- Sheriff’s Office: 1201 ODonnell Rd, Mt Vernon, Indiana 47620
- Magistrate’s court: 126 E 3rd St, Mt Vernon, IN 47620
- County Clerk’s Office: 300 Main St, Mount Vernon, Indiana 47620
Will state agencies provide an arrest report or details about warrants from Posey County over the phone? (Updated-2021)
- To learn about recent arrests, contact the Posey County Jail at (812) 838-1321, option-1.
- To receive arrest records, details on warrants and incident reports, contact the Sheriff’s Office Administration at 812) 838-1321, option-2.
- To get general information and to report a crime, use the non-emergency dispatch phone number-(812) 838-1320.
- To get help and information for victims, contact the Prosecuting Attorney’s Office at 812-838-1337.
- To get information on how to do a criminal case search, contact the Clerk of Court at 812-838-1306.
Crime statistics of Posey County
In 2015, the Posey County Police investigated around 230 crimes. More than 155 of these were property-related offenses such as larceny-theft (90 cases), burglary (49 cases), and car theft (18 cases). Violent crimes were responsible for bringing in more than 70 complaints. Of these, 66 were cases of assault, 3 were cases of robbery, and 2 were homicides.
In terms of violent crime, physical assault was the most frequently reported offense, with 37 cases filed against it throughout the year. Rape and robbery resulted in 2 complaints each. In Posey County, IN, less than 150 criminal incidents occur each year. Of this cumulative figure, violent crimes account for almost 25%; this, despite a 300% drop in this category of criminal incidents. The total number of reported crimes has gone up by nearly 30% in the five years from 2001 to 2005.